Wednesday, February 28, 2007

letting go of fear


Death has been around me lately and I have to say that it is seriously bringing me down. I have lost 3 friends in 3 years and a couple acquaintances too.

I'm one of those people who thinks all the time.

I know everyone thinks but I am literally consumed by my thoughts and it’s very hard for me to pull myself out of it. I am a realist, which of course is a person who tends to view or represent things as they really are. So, for me death is death...final... and thaings like that can convince me to think what the the hell is the point of paying a bill or getting your nails done or getting up for that matter. A friend of mine died Saturday in his sleep and no one saw it coming. Life is so scary as it is without thinking that you could just fall asleep and not wake up. I am trying to take the other road and live my life instead of acting like I’m dead already…but it’s hard for me. I yearn to let go of fear.

Because of this I have been asking myself questions concerning my current place in life.
Like:
· Am I happy?
· Am I on the right path?
· Is this the life I really want?
· Am I wasting time?

Crazy……I could sit here for hours thinking and obsessing over this stuff.


I found these steps online..... gonna try and use them:
1. Remember what you've always wanted. What did you dream about being and doing when you were a child? Or an invincible teenager? Or an idealistic college student? At many points in our lives, when we encounter obstacles, we tend to settle. What have you settled for? What did you give up on when you settled?
2. Be honest with yourself. Pretending that your life is great when it's really not is only going to make things worse. Sure, you've got plenty to be grateful for, but there's nothing wrong with seeking more growth and fulfillment. Don't ever feel that by wanting more, you're forsaking what you already have.
3. Write down your goals. Where do you want to be in 5 years? 10 years? What do you want to accomplish before you die? Make lists and timelines. Keep them close to you, and read them every day, preferably when you wake up.
4. Consider making a big change. Switch careers, move to a different area, or end a relationship that's bringing you down. Stop your life from becoming one big routine.
5. Expand your comfort zone. Do something that's completely out of character. Shave your head, wear a miniskirt, try karaoke, do a cartwheel barefoot on the grass, etc. Be spontaneous and daring. Even if it has nothing to do with your goals, stepping out of your comfort zone will help you get used to facing your fears, especially people's reactions when you do something they'd never expect you to do.
6. Remember that it is your life to live and so you should choose what is best for you.

Tips
The key is to stay focused on your dreams, no matter how far you may be from accomplishing them. If you don't remember what you want out of life, it's awfully easy to lose your way.
Focus on what matters the most to you and pursue it unmistakably to the point of being able to grasp only a moment.
It is better to have experienced than not to.
Some people believe that everything you experience was meant to be experienced by you, precisely as it happens. Consider if it is helpful for you to believe this.
Don't ever think "It's too late," or "I'm too old." It's never too late, and you can never be too old to find happiness.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The good and bad thing about life is that it is always changing. There is always something, just beyond the horizon, that always seems to come around at just the right time. Don't, worry you are capable of great things and you are a great person. Maybe some things are just holding you back from acheiveing what you really want in life. Those tips are absolutely right you do have to do what is best for you. So keep your chin up things will be better sonner than you think.

pachewy said...

nice post. good advice too. i will have to come back to this and think about it some more. i am here to help you get through these times you know. we can always chat about these thoughts baby. i always have an open ear and open arms for you.